Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Emotions Vs. Professionalism

Emotions: - According to Wikipedia, it’s a complex psychophysiological experience on an individual’s state of mind as interacting with biochemical & environmental influences.
In another words, it can also influent others who’s around you by your expression, behavior, mood, temperament, personality and more.

Because of professions, work, hardship in life, some part of our “emotions” seems to be disappeared or being “numb”.

For example, being a medical expert / professions, every day, they see patients come and go. Tears of pain & joy, patients demanding, begging for help…. etc. It seems that all these already are a norm to them. So, sometimes they just feel… “nothing” or I would say, sympathy to those who need attentions.



I have a friend who is a doctor, a fresh and young doctor graduated mid of last year.

She shared her story about her work. She also described to us how patients reacted, the environmental stress & the power of influences in a critical situation.

Due to the career as a doctor, she shaded many tears for her patients, thus, emotions get hold of her and making her unable to make relevant decision. “Thanks for the senior doctors and nurses, all things went well and all carried out as per required.” She stressed.

I understand her point when she said that it’s required to put away the emotions in order to work professionally.

In the back of my mind, I was thinking, as time goes by, as she learned how to control her emotions, lesser and lesser she’s feeling her patients. I just wish that she will not just do her job for the sake of completing it. Thus, never realized what she had missed.


By the way, have I mentions that she used to be a very sensitive and down-to-earth person? She likes to laugh a lot and often put herself in people’s shoes.


Is this emotional dysfunctional? Emotionless affection? I hope not.


Being a medical profession is not as easy / fun as I thought it would be. Although income is good, stable career path, but, I don’t want to loss myself and my emotions.

I’m not sure what my friend facing right now is good or bad? I just wish that she can always be as cheerful she was.


My respect to all the doctors and nurses; we need more people like you as there are more unknown diseases affecting humanity.

No comments: